Friday, April 10, 2009

Hello Koreatown & Wilshire District

I just got back a several hours ago from a government job interview with a 'board of supervisors' in the Wilshire District/Koreatown area of Los Angeles. I am to sit in front of 3 people as they ask me whatever they want. I arrived early so I decided to take a stroll around the area before the interview. Snapped up a few shots.

I went to a Quiznos nearby and ate some food in my car. While I ate, I watched this crazy lady who stared, talked and petted the flowers on the wall for more than 20 minutes. Actually, 'crazy' is kind of mean, it was actually kind of sweet perhaps. I mean, this day and age with all the problems our world faces, its nice to know she can forget it all and think of a pretty little flower. Either that or she's really nuts.. LOL.



Anyways, saw the famous 'Gaylord' Apartments. It's just a name, yes, but the little Beavis & Butthead in me did a 'Uh-Huh-Huh' and took a picture:



This is another view up towards the Gaylord. I thought the tree canopy was quite cool.



I love the way the street looked in front of the Gaylord from this angle. That Frog N Grog place looked like a cool place to have a brew. But I'm here looking for work, and I was tempted to go after the interview, but with L.A. traffic, I said no way, some other time!



That big building in the back is where I'm supposed to go. This area is definitely very KOREA-town. Sorry I didn't take pictures of everything Korean around here, tons of places to eat Korean BBQ. I had a few minutes and didn't want people to think I'm some kind of investigator or something. I still don't see where this 'Little Bangladesh' would fit in. All in all, a great place to work with tons of places to eat (and drink, after work of course).



As I got home I get a phone call. The board of supervisors liked me and told me I start Monday! Woohoo! Not bad for less than a month of work search!

A special thanks to you guys and fellow bloggers who gave me some positive encouragement on this blog as well. I'm very lucky this day and age, I thought I'd never find anything for a long time! This is seasonal and not long term, but they said they liked to contract me out for longer if possible.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh Koreatown. Memories. I used to "live" there. I had a couple girlfriends who lived there and I'd spend half my week there for over a year. Los Angeles is the second most populous city for ethnic koreans in the world. the only one more populous is Seoul.

    I don't think I'll be spending much time there anymore. Pomona is where it's at now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only one more populous is Seoul??? Well, there are 3.5 million "ethnic Koreans" living in the Korean city of Busan. Then there is Suwon, Kyungju, Taejon...

    ReplyDelete