Friday, June 3, 2011

Don't Love Your Cereal Anymore?


I cannot believe the popularity and sales of these long time cereals we all know have fallen so dramatically. These particular cereals have been the staple of the traditional American breakfast cereal for so many years (at least for me). I guess Snap, Crackle and Pop haven't been 'popping much'. According to this Wall St. article:

"Six cereal brands have been hit particularly hard by American’s changing breakfast tastes. These include Kellogg’s Corn Flakes, Cheerios, Raisin Bran, Rice Krispies, Corn Pops, and Special K. Sales of some of these brands fell by double digits between 2007 to 2010, and those declines have continued..."

I also recall recently the mention of some preservative found in most cereals, was known to cause cancer. I remember seeing the news story on television and restricting my kids to cut back. I think it was Folic Acid, or one of those. I don't think that's the case though, I just think there are just so many more options now for a quick fix breakfast, plus the price of milk can get costly. We average 1 Gallon a day in this household!

No comments:

Post a Comment