Saturday, October 2, 2010

'Scamming Grandmas' In Pomona

That doesn't sound right does it? Let me rephrase, Grandma's are being scammed across the area. Actually, Pomona Police say this is happening all over the Inland Empire. I still say Pomona is the 'gateway', including Claremont, to the Inland Empire. We are L.A. County and not S.B County. So technically, we're like a toll booth without the fee. Pomona also hosts the L.A. COUNTY FAIR, not the I.E. or S.B. COUNTY FAIR.

Yes, I'm going off topic, ranting pointless quibble. Anyways, the reason I am posting this info is because I have a 'grandma' neighbor who lives by herself and I know many of you do too. I think the darn lady is becoming one of those 'hoarders' from TV. There I go once again, off topic. I'm loving it.

In fact, my Pomona adjacent neighbors of Claremont should also take note, since such a large segment of the population for your city is retirees and 'grandmas', this definitely will apply to you as well. Now get off my lawn!


In "Grandma Scams," seniors typically receive phone calls from individuals claiming to be a relative in distress and in immediate need of money. Detectives say the caller will pose as a grandchild by disguising their voice then use various stories to appeal for funds.

Pomona Police say the callers may say they're on vacation, but have lost their wallet and need money to come home. Another scam is the caller might claim to be in jail or involved in an accident and need money to pay for legal or medical fees, police said. The caller will then try to convince the victim to send or wire money to a phony bail bondsman, attorney, or other third party to pay for their expenses.


Here: ABC 7 has more story with information & numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment