Monday, September 7, 2009

Drifter... Pale Ale


My favorite type of beer style is the Pale Ale style. I saw a 6-pack of Drifter Pale Ale this weekend and decided to pick it up and give it a taste. I love the label design of the beach/wood/sign paint combo, very nicely done. Now the maker, Widmer Brothers of Oregon, is most popular for their Hefeweizen beer. You can find it almost at any market in California. The famous yellow and black label is commonplace in store refrigerators.

Anyways, picked it up and chilled it overnight. After a long morning/afternoon, headed back to my freshly manicured backyard, took my hat off, and sat in my lounge chair. As I take a sip, I can't help but notice a sort of Guava taste instantly, followed by a light common taste of your average pale ale. The finish is almost Newcastle-like, meaning it doesn't have much bite at the end. It's certainly not a serious pale ale, but the drinkability is definitely smooth and easier than an IPA. At 5.7% alcohol content, it's pretty decent. I give it a 4 out of 5, which is still good no question. Definitely a good beer for a hot summer day with some taste in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment