Thursday, March 5, 2009

1958 Macarthur Park - Los Angeles

I remember as a little kid in the 70s going to a local barber across the street from the park with my father. A green oasis in the middle of a concrete jungle and smoggy cars. Of course, I'm sure it was nicer in the 1950s. MacArthur Park is named after the World War II army general Douglas MacArthur. A hit song by Richard Harris was written in 1968 titled "MacArthur Park", while staying at the Sheraton Townhouse Hotel across the street. Harris took a small walk through the park on a rainy day and watched old men playing games of chess and checkers by the lake. The famous Elizabeth Taylor wed actor Richard Burton at this same Sheraton hotel. You can get to MacArthur Park via the metro rail subway from a station across the street.

Here is an old picture of Macarthur Park in 1958
Click to Enlarge

MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down...
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again

1 comment:

  1. I would suggest visiting Langer's Deli if you make your way to that part of town Via the Red Line.

    MAC

    ReplyDelete