Saturday, March 14, 2009

Don't Forget The Pomona Art Walk Tonight!

CLICK HERE FOR METRO POMONA'S OFFICIAL WEBSITE FOR MORE INFO!


This message is for those of you who've never been to the art walk.

I had heard about it for a year or two, but thought it was an idea that never flourished, plus it was over 3 miles from my side of Pomona. Of course some of the stereotype floated in my head about the 'bad' Pomona thing, but told myself, it's an artsy thing and the city/police support it. I just can't see how it would be bad.

Then one day after some reading about it on the net, I decided to do it. Coincidentally it happened to be on Valentine's this year. Mentioned it to the wife and she was game. I'm the 'let's try somethng different' type, perhaps that's why she likes me? anyways, that's something else.

I printed the online map and off we went around 8:00pm. Figured, heck, it's free! Worst case we go check out some galleries and head out somewhere for the night. Headed down Holt (yikes) to Garey by the YMCA and made a left. We got to second and saw Joey's BBQ, so we turned right and parked in the back behind Joey's BBQ. I've only been to Joey's in Upland and Chino, so it's good to know there's another one.

We walked thru the little plaza area where a reggae band was playing and checked it out. Also checked out the small farmers market in the plaza. We saw police on segways, and the crowd looked relaxed and happy. I'll cut this short, we basically saw most of the galleries on 2nd st, Main st, 3rd and up Thomas. Through those galleries, some owners came out directly to me and my wife and offered wine, martinis or food. Some galleries like the Bunny Gunner were impossible to get into due to the large crowd in & outside of it! I was amazed at how cool the scene was. There was a concert at the Glass House as well. We had a quick drink at the Glass House bar (very cool little bar) and ended our night at Joey's. That's where I discovered 'Pomona Queen' beer. I ended up having about 4 or 5, yacking with the bartender and a couple from Riverside at the bar all night. We spent about 3+ hours at the artwalk that night, met a few new people and went home relaxed. We talked about how cool and kickback the experience was not knowing anyone, being armed with nothing but a little map.

My point is, I did it, so can you! It is very easy to get to it. Get to the 10 freeway in either direction, exit Garey Ave and go South until you go under a train bridge and wallah! You're at the ArtWalk (2nd St.) to the right.

There is also an 'Antique Row' to the left. i don't know much about it yet, but it might be my next adventure. Perhaps I'll try it out tonight!

Oh and another thing, do not miss the DA center for the Arts on Main! You can meet the Red Cup girls in the underground stairway, usually before 8pm. I met them the 2nd time I went and had a more intimate tour of the galleries, and tons we had previously missed!

So, for the map: CLICK HERE
TIME: Officially begins at 6pm, but I'm an 8pm til ??? person.
cost: FREE (unless you buy Art, Clothing, Food or Drinks)

Update: For even more detailed information, visit:

--=POMONA ARTS COLONY WEBSITE=--

3 comments:

  1. THANKS SKRIP!

    The Art Walk starts at 6pm.

    There is an article about tonight's highlights at:
    http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_11901657

    And go to the pomonaartscolony.com for more Pomona Arts Colony information, maps, exhibits, and articles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the info Ashley, I updated the post with your website. Sorry about not mentioning it, I was so excited about the Art Walk I just typed away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an added thing to tonight's art walk. Friends of the Pomona Fox will have a table in the newly paved alleyway next to the Fox with information on the Fox First Night, grand opening event which will be held on Saturday, April 18.

    ReplyDelete